We do some things to stay alive, and we do other things to feel happy and at peace. There is no easy way to be happy, and sometimes what makes a person truly happy is a mix of good habits, accepting ourselves and those around us, setting goals, and taking care of our physical and mental health. On the other hand, spending your time on things you don’t really enjoy just to avoid dealing with problems in your life could make you unhappy. Binge-watching, eating without thinking, and going on a shopping spree even when you don’t need things can all lead to long-term sadness. So, what are things that really make people happy?
“In some way, we are all looking for the key to happiness. We often spend our whole lives looking for things that make us happy. And while what makes one person happy may be very different from what makes another person happy, we all need the same basic things to be truly happy,” says Arouba Kabir, founder of Enso Wellness and a mental health counselor.
Here are the 5 things that really can make people happy.
1. Accepting yourself: To be able to appreciate and enjoy the people and things around you, you have to be happy on the inside. That means you have to accept yourself, recognize yourself, and love yourself.
2. Being with people you care about: Having someone you can count on and talk to about your highs and lows is a wonderful feeling. Whether it’s family, friends, or even your pet, being with them makes you happy.
3. The joy of giving: Sharing is the best way to feel true happiness. Any act of kindness, no matter how small, will make your day and the other person’s day better.
4. Having something to look forward to: It’s important to have a goal in life. Setting goals, working toward them, and reaching them gives you a great sense of accomplishment and makes you happy.
5. Staying in shape: Taking care of your mental and physical health does a lot for your feelings. Serotonin is a happy hormone that is released when you do physical activities. This makes you feel good. In the same way, things that are good for your mental health, like meditation, help you feel calm, happy, and refreshed.
Besides these things, everyone should take time every day to think about what they really want. Getting to know yourself and being in touch with your inner self could make you happier.