Do you know in detail about diabetes? You must know everything about how to prevent diabetes. And that is the objective of this article: explaining what diabetes is, what its types are, how to prevent it, how to detect and treat it. You can know everything if you read it.
Discovering that we have a disease named diabetes that can’t be cured! As the case with diabetes is not easy for anyone to digest. Probably, the first thing you feel of unreality and injustice.
However, accepting the disease, the first necessary step to learn to live with it and keep it at bay. To do this, going to a psychologist. It can be helpful. Follow the instructions of the specialist who treats you.
According to statistics, 9 out of 10 adults in the USA suffer from type 2 diabetes. The consequences of this disease can be serious if patients do not faithfully follow the treatment. However, a better quality of life can be achieved if you choose the path of healthy living.
What is diabetes?
Diabetes is a disease that appears when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin or when the body does not effectively use the insulin it produces.
There are three types of diabetes:
Type 1 Diabetes: This type of diabetes usually appears before age 35 and there is no way to prevent it. It is because the body does not produce insulin, so the patient must inject it daily. This entails daily medication. Type 1 diabetes accounts for 10% of the total cases of diabetes.
Type 2 Diabetes: It usually arises from the age of forty and is often linked to overweight, poor eating habits, and physical inactivity. The disease can only be diagnosed when it has several years of evolution and complications have appeared. However, this age is not an exclusive symptom and type 2 diabetes establishes itself in both adults and children.
Type 3 Diabetes: It is known as gestational diabetes that appears in some women during pregnancy and usually disappears after childbirth. It is characterized by hyperglycemia (Increased Blood Sugar) and increases the risk; both in them and with their children, of suffering from type 2 diabetes in the future.
How to detect type 2 diabetes?
While type 1 and type 3 diabetes are unavoidable, that’s why they cannot be prevented. Type 2 diabetes is and therefore it is important to be alert for the symptoms that may appear in our body.
An interesting option is the performance of diagnostic tests, such as the regular measurement of blood glucose levels, the Findrisc test, and the genetic predisposition detection tool.
Video Credit: Mayoclinic.
Can it be prevented?
What causes the onset of type 2 diabetes are unhealthy eating habits, an inactive lifestyle, obesity, stress, alcohol consumption and lack of sleep. These factors increase blood glucose levels and cause overexertion for the assimilation of that sugar by the cells, generating more insulin.
However, in some cases, this type of diabetes may be due to causes that cannot be prevented, such as genetic factors, age, and diagnosed glucose intolerance.
What can be done?
– Follow your doctor’s recommendations to the prescription. Do not forget the medication, or measure your blood sugar frequently. It is also important that you perform all the necessary medical check-ups before waiting to find you wrong.
– Take care of your diet. It is important to follow a balanced diet, low in fat and taking into account that the sugars of rapid absorption should be taken very moderately. As for the slow absorption of carbohydrates, necessary for our body, its consumption must also be controlled. Your medical team can tell you what is the recommended daily amount for you.
– Perform moderate physical exercise on a daily basis and of greater intensity between one and three times a week. Going for a walk, swimming or doing yoga can be good options.
– Stop smoking. It is an excellent idea if you have diabetes. You can ask for medical help if you have trouble quitting.
– Enjoy your social life. Explain to your friends and family the peculiarities of your illness so that they can participate in social gatherings, family meals – without problems.
– Avoid or moderate alcohol consumption a lot since it favors hypoglycemia. In addition, it can inhibit the effect of medications.
Whatever your case, these tips can help you achieve your wellness Objective. It is necessary to understand that creating healthy habits is not delayable and that the quality of life, whatever your situation can improve if you decide.
READ MORE: 10 best foods to control diabetics naturally