Netflix has unveiled the first image from The Crown season 5, which features a completely new cast. In the stills from the most recent season, Princess Diana can be seen looking dejected and hanging her head as she attends a luxurious evening engagement. Elizabeth Debicki, who took Emma Corrin’s position as Princess Diana in the previous season, plays the role.
Another image shows Prince Charles played by Dominic West, who replaces Josh O’Connor from seasons 3 and 4 and his friend Camilla Parker Bowles played by Olivia Williams, who replaces Emerald Fennell, smiling and cuddling up while seemingly watching fireworks outside.
Diana and Charles, however, can be seen vacationing with their young sons Prince William (Timothee Sambor) and Prince Harry on a speedboat in a different, joyful picture (Teddy Hawley).
A house divided. Watch the trailer for Season 5 of The Crown this Thursday. pic.twitter.com/wde65vz6cY
— The Crown (@TheCrownNetflix) October 17, 2022
As reported by Variety, Elizabeth Debicki said, “That’s the great thing about playing these characters at this moment, because, in the journey of The Crown so far out of all the seasons, this is the most visual content we have of the royal family.”
“Everything had begun to be videotaped in the 1990s, and the 24-hour news cycle had just begun, so we now have access to an unbelievable amount of stuff. Diana was the subject of the most photographs at the time. When you open the portal as an actor, a massive informational tsunami hits you. I had a great time swimming in it “Elizabeth, as reported by Variety, The Crown Season 5 will debut on Netflix on November 9. The late 1980s and early 1990s, one of the most difficult decades for the royal family, will be covered in the television series.
1992, which the Queen infamously referred to as her “annus horribilis,” saw the separation or divorce of three of her four children.
The Crown’s sixth and likely final season, which will center on Diana’s passing in 1997, is now in production.
Who stars in The Crown Season 5?
- Imelda Staunton as Queen Elizabeth II
- Jonathan Pryce as Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- Lesley Manville as Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon
- Jonny Lee Miller as Prime Minister John Major MP
- Dominic West as Charles, Prince of Wales
- Elizabeth Debicki as Diana, Princess of Wales
- Andrew Havill as Robert Fellowes
- Marcia Warren as Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother
- Olivia Williams as Camilla Parker Bowles
- Claudia Harrison as Anne, Princess Royal
- Flora Montgomery as Norma Major
- James Murray as Prince Andrew, Duke of York
- Emma Laird Craig as Sarah, Duchess of York
- Sam Woolf as Prince Edward
- Senan West as Prince William of Wales
- Khalid Abdalla as Dodi Fayed
- Salim Daw as Mohamed Al-Fayed
- Amir El-Masry as young Mohamed Al-Fayed
- Chayma Abdelkarimi as young Samira Khashoggi
- Bertie Carvel as Tony Blair MP
- Lydia Leonard as Cherie Blair
- Prasanna Puwanarajah as Martin Bashir
- Timothy Dalton as Group Captain Peter Townsend
- Humayun Saeed as Dr Hasnat Khan
- Philippine Leroy-Beaulieu as Monique Ritz
The Crown season 5 time period: What events will be included?
The following Royal-related historical events to be included in The Crown Season 5.
- After Margaret Thatcher resigned, John Major was formally named prime minister by the Queen in November 1990.
- Princess Eugenie is baptized in December 1990.
- Beginning in January 1991, the Gulf War.
- Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) bombs detonate in February 1991 at Paddington and Victoria stations in London.
- The Queen celebrates her Ruby Jubilee in February 1992.
- After six years of marriage, the Duke and Duchess of York (Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson) announce their separation in March 1992.
- Princess Diana’s paternal grandfather, John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer, passes away from pneumonia in March 1992 at the age of 68.
- Princess Anne announces her separation from Captain Mark Phillips in April 1992.
- Diana: Her True Story, written by Andrew Morton, is a contentious biography of Princess Diana that was released in June 1992.
- Intimate photos of the Duchess of York (Sarah Ferguson) and Texan businessman John Bryan are published in August 1992 by The Daily Mirror.
November 1992 – A fire damages Windsor Castle, costing millions of pounds in repairs. Soon after, the Queen declares the year 1992 to be an Annus Horribilis.
- It was announced by Prime Minister John Major in November 1992 that the monarchy will no longer enjoy 60 years of tax-free living starting in 1993.
- Prince Charles and Princess Diana declare their intention to separate in December 1992.
- Princess Anne weds Timothy Lawrence in December 1992.
- Stephen Lawrence is killed in South London in April 1993.
- The Queen declares that Buckingham Palace will be made publicly accessible for the first time in April 1993.
- Princess Diana sues the Daily Mirror in November 1993 for pictures of her taken at a gym.
- Princess Diana announces her departure from public life in December 1993, and the Queen expresses her desire for peace in Northern Ireland.
- Prince Charles stops playing competitive polo in January 1994.
- Tony Blair becomes the new leader of the Labour Party in July 1994.
- Prince Philip travels to Israel in October 1994 to take part in a ceremony honoring his late mother, Princess Alice of Battenberg, for saving Jewish families from the Nazis during World War II.
- Prior to the Queen’s arrival in Cape Town for the first royal visit to South Africa in 50 years, the Queen and Prince Philip travel to Northern Ireland for the first time since the IRA and Loyalist ceasefire.
- Britain commemorates VE Day’s 50th anniversary in May 1995.
- In order to reassert his leadership, John Major resigns as the Conservative Party’s leader in June 1995. A month later, he wins the leadership contest.
The Queen Mother, who is 95 years old, had a hip replacement operation in November 1995, making history as the oldest patient to have the procedure.
- November 1995 – A Panorama interview with Princess Diana airs on BBC One. In it, the Princess of Wales discusses the monarchy’s future, the affair involving Prince Charles, her personal infidelity, her depression and bulimia.
- The Queen writes to Charles and Diana in December 1995, pleading with them to get a divorce as soon as feasible.
- Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson divorce in April 1996.
- Prince Charles and Princess Diana’s divorce is finalized in August 1996.
- Tony Blair, the head of the Labour Party, defeats incumbent John Major to become prime minister in May 1997.
- Princess Diana’s clothing was auctioned off in June 1997, raising more than £2 million for charity.
- The IRA declares a cease-fire in July 1997.
- Princess Diana and her boyfriend Dodi Fayed perish in a vehicle crash in Paris in August 1997.
- September 1997 – The day before Diana’s funeral at Westminster Abbey, The Queen pays homage to her on national television.
- The Queen and Prince Philip celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary in November 1997.